Sunday, May 27, 2012

Cha-An - East Village

When you go one block up from the noisy streets of St.Mark's Place, you'll find a cozy little Japanese tea house called Cha-An. It's really easy to miss because the entrance is just a tiny door and the only sign you'll see is this small thing above your head :



It took me over a year to find out about this hidden gem and I would've never known it ever existed if my friend hadn't told me. So hopefully I'll get to share this place with more people out there by writing this post!

The tea is served in cute little pots and they are very nice about refilling the pot. 
On my first visit, the waitress suggested I try the Genmaicha Green Tea so if you can't choose from their long list of teas, try the Genmaicha!
Top two - Pot of Genmaicha Green tea, Bottom Left - Matcha Latte (sweet), Bottom Right - Chrysanthemum Blossom Tea

They also have a variety of Japanese fusion desserts that are pretty delicious.
I recommend the Black Sesame Creame Brulee (no picture for this one, sorry!) The mix of caramelized sugar and black sesame custard will live up to its hype, I promise. The sweets are not on the cheap side ($8~9 for a tiny dessert) but the teas are reasonably priced with most of them at $5~7 per tea pot.



The tea house itself isn't very big and the seats are pretty close to each other. But I think that's what gives this place a homey feel. Also, the service here is great, all the workers seemed friendly and happy. 
Great place to catch up with a friend while sipping on some hot tea!



No comments:

Post a Comment